European football’s governing body has hardened its stance against Fifa president Gianni Infantino, warning that a threatened boycott of World Cup and other competitions remains on the table despite the English FA’s decision to withdraw support for the embattled leader. The FA’s move follows the publication of a letter sent to Fifa on Thursday, seen by BBC Sport, which explicitly cited the FFE plan as the reason for its withdrawal of backing for Infantino. The letter stated: “The FA cannot support the current proposals regarding the Fifa Forward Enterprise and therefore withdraws its support for the Fifa president.”
Uefa’s red line stays in place
Uefa reiterated on Thursday that its conditions for restoring confidence in Infantino have not been met, even after Fifa’s Council meeting in Rabat on Wednesday. The European body had demanded two concessions: the withdrawal of proposals to sell stakes in World Cup rights to private investors through the Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) subsidiary, and a guarantee that such attempts to reshape football’s commercial structure would never recur. Both demands remain unfulfilled.
“First, the proposals to sell off the major competitions had to be withdrawn and secondly, assurances have to be made that such attempts to disfigure the game in this way will never be made again,” Uefa stated. “These conditions have not been met.” The governing body added that its loss of confidence in Infantino, first declared on Saturday, “holds.”
Fifa’s response falls short
Fifa’s attempt to mollify critics by acknowledging “mistakes” in handling the FFE plan did not sway Uefa. The world governing body said it regretted that member associations felt excluded from the process, but Uefa dismissed the gesture as irrelevant. “Yesterday’s announcement that some people employed by the Fifa president (and whose careers depend on his favour) agree with him changes nothing,” Uefa said. The governing body also reiterated its earlier description of the FFE episode as a “shabby, back room, opaque deal,” underscoring the depth of its disapproval.
The contrast between the two bodies was stark. While Uefa framed the FFE episode as a breach of trust, Fifa’s Council meeting in Morocco saw Infantino summon his management board to a table where he set the agenda. The 56-year-old arrived in a motorcade of blacked-out Mercedes cars, a visual reminder that his position remains intact—for now. The meeting concluded with a statement acknowledging “mistakes” in the handling of the FFE plan, but crucially, it did not withdraw the proposals or provide the guarantees Uefa demanded.
What happens next?
The English FA’s decision to withdraw support for Infantino adds diplomatic weight to Uefa’s campaign, but it does not trigger immediate consequences. The FA’s letter cited the FFE plan as the reason for its move, aligning with Uefa’s stance. However, the absence of broader backing from other national associations limits the immediate impact of the withdrawal. Uefa’s president Aleksander Čeferin has previously indicated that European nations would need to coordinate a united front before any boycott could be implemented.
Uefa’s threat of a boycott still looms over future competitions, including the men’s and women’s World Cups. The governing body has not specified which tournaments or timelines it is considering, but its insistence that “nothing has changed” suggests the dispute will escalate if Infantino remains in office without concessions. For now, the standoff remains a war of words, with Uefa refusing to blink while Fifa’s leadership clings to its position. The next formal opportunity for Fifa’s 211 member associations to address the crisis will come at the Fifa Congress in Bangkok next month, where the FFE plan—or its remnants—could resurface.
What is clear is that European football’s patience has worn thin. Uefa’s refusal to accept Fifa’s half-measures signals that Infantino’s presidency is now a liability, not just for Fifa’s integrity, but for the stability of the sport’s governance. The next move rests with Fifa’s member associations, many of whom have yet to declare their stance. Until then, the threat of a boycott—and the damage it would inflict on football’s global calendar—hangs in the balance.