Tag: goalkeeper

  • English football trials new rule to end goalkeeper time-wasting

    English football will this weekend test a rule designed to curb one of the most cynical time-wasting tactics in the modern game: the goalkeeper tactical timeout. The Football Association, Premier League, English Football League, National League and Women’s Super League have all agreed to trial a change that forces teams to remove an outfield player whenever a keeper receives treatment, removing the incentive to fake injury and break up play.

    Why the rule change matters

    The practice has grown more brazen in recent seasons. Keepers have been seen collapsing on the pitch, summoning the physio, then rising unhurriedly once their teammates have gathered for a tactical chat. The stoppage allows coaches to deliver instructions while the opposition is frozen out of play, and the restart often favours the team that just enjoyed a three-minute break. Fans have grown weary of these calculated interruptions, and lawmakers have now acted. The trial follows a decision by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in February to invite leagues to volunteer for experiments after shelving a blanket change earlier this year. Permission from IFAB is still required, but if granted, the first competitive fixture to feature the rule would be Saturday’s Carabao Cup preliminary-round tie between Tranmere Rovers and Rochdale at Prenton Park.

    How the trial will work

    When a referee signals for a physio to enter the field to treat a goalkeeper, the manager will have 10 seconds to name an outfield player to leave the pitch for one minute. If no player is selected in that window, the captain will be removed automatically. The outgoing player must be told to the fourth official. The Australian A-League will run a variation in which the captain always exits, but English football’s version ties the decision to the manager’s discretion. The measure is intended as a deterrent: the cost of a tactical timeout is now a numerical disadvantage for 60 seconds, a price few teams will risk paying unless the injury is genuine. Controversial VAR interventions have already shown how easily stoppages can reshape momentum; this rule aims to prevent that leverage from being exploited.

    The backdrop: a season of cynical stoppages

    The tactic has drawn sharp criticism from managers. After Manchester City’s Gianluigi Donnarumma went down during a November visit to Leeds United, Daniel Farke accused the Italy international of feigning injury to “bend the rules” and disrupt his team’s rhythm. “Everyone knows why he went down,” Farke said post-match. “It is within the rules. It is smart.” Farke stopped short of calling for sanctions, but his frustration underscored the widening gap between what fans tolerate and what some players believe they can get away with. The trial arrives as English football seeks proactive solutions rather than reactive punishments, with Pro Ref—led by chief refereeing officer Howard Webb—spearheading the discussions. Earlier this year, Pierluigi Collina, IFAB’s head of referees, told officials to prevent players from entering technical areas on all stoppages ahead of the 2026 World Cup, signalling that the issue transcends domestic leagues.

    Goalkeeper treatment has also been weaponised at pivotal moments. Teams leading late in matches have used the ploy to smother counter-attacks and reset pressing traps. The new rule removes that option by imposing an immediate tactical cost, forcing coaches to weigh the benefit of a brief coaching huddle against the risk of playing a man down. For neutrals, the change promises crisper flows and fewer cynical delays; for pragmatists, it may simply push time-wasting into less visible channels.

    The trial’s success hinges on referees’ willingness to enforce it consistently. If officials hesitate to summon physios for genuine injuries, the rule will fail; if they apply it rigidly, teams may abandon the tactic altogether. Either way, the weekend’s Carabao Cup curtain-raiser will be watched closely—not for the result, but for the minutes lost and the players missing when the whistle blows.

  • Radek Vitek’s exit demand exposes Man Utd’s goalkeeper crisis

    Manchester United’s goalkeeper crisis has deepened after Radek Vitek publicly declared his desire to leave Old Trafford, exposing the club’s lack of clarity over its hierarchy between the posts. The 22-year-old Czech, who impressed on loan at Bristol City last season, is seeking a guaranteed starting role elsewhere after admitting he cannot dislodge Senne Lammens at United. His exit demand, delivered after featuring in United’s pre-season defeat to Wrexham, underscores a transfer saga that risks spiralling into a costly distraction.

    Vitek’s exit demand lays bare United’s goalkeeper uncertainty

    Vitek’s stance is unambiguous: he wants to be a first-choice goalkeeper in 2025-26, and United’s current setup does not accommodate that ambition. Speaking after United’s 1-0 loss in Helsinki, he said he felt ready to go somewhere to be number one and that his preference for a permanent move or loan depended on what the club wanted. The admission that there have been a few interests on the table suggests clubs are already circling, with Hull City and Ipswich Town—both newly promoted to the Premier League—reported as potential suitors.

    United’s goalkeeper market has been a source of frustration all summer. The club’s inability to address its goalkeeping situation has left them vulnerable, while Vitek’s development now hangs in the balance. His progress under goalkeeping coach Craig Mawson—who has worked with him for nearly six years—and the guidance of veteran Tom Heaton has been significant, but the pathway to minutes at Old Trafford is blocked. Lammens’ emergence as a reliable option has rendered Vitek surplus to requirements, forcing the club into a difficult decision: sell now to avoid a fire-sale later, or gamble on a loan that could still end in acrimony.

    Onana’s future remains a complicating factor

    United’s goalkeeper dilemma is compounded by the uncertainty surrounding André Onana, whose ACL injury at Villa Park has sidelined him until at least next spring. The Belgian’s absence has already reshaped United’s midfield dynamics, as Villa’s crisis and Belgium’s World Cup gamble illustrate the broader tactical fallout. With Onana’s rehabilitation ongoing, United cannot afford to lose another goalkeeper to a dead-end role. Yet Vitek’s exit demand suggests the club’s hierarchy is already fractured, with no clear plan to integrate either player into a coherent pecking order.

    The timing of Vitek’s statement is particularly damaging. United’s pre-season schedule is critical for squad cohesion, but the goalkeeper’s focus appears elsewhere. His involvement in the Wrexham defeat—where he played the second half—was a rare competitive outing, yet his mind is clearly on his future. The club’s inability to resolve this impasse risks undermining morale, especially if Vitek’s replacement is yet another short-term solution. The contrast with United’s transfer activity elsewhere—such as Mason Greenwood’s £10m move to Fenerbahce, which generated a rare financial windfall—only highlights the goalkeeper situation as a self-inflicted wound.

    United’s transfer window exposes deeper structural flaws

    Vitek’s exit demand is not an isolated issue but a symptom of United’s broader transfer dysfunction. While rivals like Arsenal and Chelsea have moved decisively—pursuing targets like Yan Diomande and Morgan Rogers—the Red Devils have lurched between targets, with Crysencio Summerville’s potential move to Roma and now Vitek’s saga dominating headlines. The club’s failure to address its goalkeeper crisis with urgency suggests a lack of strategic foresight, particularly when compared to the proactive approach of clubs like Tottenham, who are reportedly finalising deals like Djed Spence’s potential return to Italy.

    The risk for United is that Vitek’s sale becomes a fire-sale. If the club cannot secure a suitable fee—reports suggest interest from Hull City and Ipswich Town—it may be forced to accept a cut-price deal or, worse, allow him to leave on a free transfer next summer. That would compound the financial loss from Greenwood’s departure and leave United with a gaping hole between the posts. The club’s recent history of selling young goalkeepers—such as Dean Henderson’s loan merry-go-round—offers little reassurance that this transfer window will end differently.

    Manchester United’s goalkeeper crisis is no longer a background noise; it is a front-row issue threatening to derail their season before it begins. Radek Vitek’s exit demand has laid bare the club’s lack of clarity over its goalkeeping future, while André Onana’s injury has turned a logistical problem into a structural one. With no clear resolution in sight, United risk repeating the mistakes of past transfer windows—selling talent too cheaply, reacting too late, and leaving fans to wonder why a club with such resources cannot get the basics right.

  • Keating snubs Man City: Where next for England’s rising goalkeeper?

    Khiara Keating’s decision to walk away from Manchester City this summer has sent ripples through English football’s goalkeeper pipeline. The 21-year-old England international, a lifelong City fan and academy graduate, has turned down a new contract offer and now faces a pivotal choice: pursue regular first-team football elsewhere, or gamble on a longer-term project at the club she grew up supporting. With her current deal expiring in 2026 and limited game time at City last season, the door to a move is wide open—and several WSL clubs are already circling.

    Why Keating’s exit from City is a calculated risk

    Keating’s departure is not a rejection of ambition, but a response to the realities of competing for minutes in a squad stacked with talent. Last season, she started just four WSL games behind Japan international Ayaka Yamashita, despite City winning the league title and the Women’s FA Cup. The competition for the number one shirt is fierce, and with no guarantee of more starts next term, Keating’s decision to explore other options reflects a desire for guaranteed playing time rather than a vote of no confidence in the club. Her WSL Golden Glove award in 2023-24—aged 19 and the youngest ever recipient—proves her quality, but trophies alone do not satisfy a player seeking regular action.

    Her England pathway has also hit turbulence. After making her senior debut at Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium in October 2024, Keating was omitted from the Euro 2025 squad and missed out on June’s World Cup qualifiers with a concussion. The competition for England’s goalkeeping spots is intensifying, with Mary Earps still the undisputed first choice. Regaining a place in Sarina Wiegman’s squad before next year’s tournament will require consistent club football, and a move away from City could provide that platform.

    The clubs circling—and what they offer

    Liverpool have emerged as the most credible suitor. Gareth Taylor, who oversaw Keating’s breakthrough season at City in 2023-24 and handed her a WSL debut, remains an admirer. His side is in urgent need of a goalkeeper after Jennifer Falk’s loan ended in May and permanent talks stalled. Taylor’s familiarity with Keating’s strengths—her command of her box, reflexes, and composure under pressure—could smooth a transition, but Liverpool’s defensive frailties last term raise questions about the immediate competitiveness of the project.

    Other WSL clubs are monitoring the situation, though none have been publicly named. Keating’s reputation as one of England’s brightest young goalkeepers ensures interest, but her next destination will hinge on more than just ambition. A club with a clear pathway to silverware, or at least a stable environment where she can thrive, will hold the strongest appeal. The risk of joining a side battling relegation or mid-table mediocrity could undermine her England ambitions, making the choice as much about tactical fit as it is about ambition.

    What this means for England’s goalkeeping future

    Keating’s situation underscores a broader challenge for England’s goalkeeper pipeline: balancing development with the need for game time. With Earps nearing the end of her peak years and younger options like Lauren James and Hannah Hampton pushing for recognition, Keating’s career trajectory will be scrutinised closely. A move to a club where she can command a starting berth could fast-track her progress, but the wrong decision could stall her momentum at a critical juncture.

    The timing of her exit also coincides with wider shifts in the WSL. Clubs are investing in infrastructure, with Manchester United overcoming a key hurdle in their bid to build a 100,000-seat stadium, signalling a new era of ambition in the women’s game. Yet for players like Keating, the immediate priority is minutes, not marquee projects. Her next move will reveal whether she prioritises legacy at City or seizes the chance to define her own path elsewhere.

    One thing is certain: Keating’s decision has exposed the fragility of long-term planning in women’s football. Clubs often preach patience, but for a 21-year-old with England ambitions, the clock is ticking louder than ever.

    Related coverage

    Manchester United overcome key hurdle in bid to build new 100,000-seat stadium · England latest: Tuchel ‘demands high standards’, says Spence after viral training clip