Sheffield United’s summer of uncertainty deepened on Monday night when the club’s new owners were told a winding-up hearing on Wednesday could force Bramall Lane into administration. Former owner United World has filed a £35m claim against COH Sports Bidco, the consortium that bought the club last year, and the hearing on August 19 is the next flashpoint in a dispute that now threatens the club’s Premier League status.
How a £35m debt became a 12-point sword
The claim centres on a £35m balance United World says remains unpaid from the 2025 takeover. Sources close to COH insist the club itself is “financially healthy,” but the winding-up petition is a legal grenade with a short fuse. If the court grants the petition, Sheffield United could be declared insolvent, triggering an automatic 12-point deduction under EFL regulations. United World’s statement made clear it would pursue every legal avenue unless the debt is settled before Wednesday, warning that months of uncertainty would follow a winding-up order.
Behind the headline figure lies a personal risk for one of COH’s co-owners. United World has signalled it may pursue a ban on Steve Rosen under EFL Regulation 2.1.16, which disqualifies owners involved in two insolvencies within a decade. Rosen was non-executive chairman of Invacare when it entered insolvency in 2023, and United World’s public statement leaves no doubt it will argue he meets that threshold if Sheffield United is declared insolvent.
A club caught between two regimes
The timing could hardly be worse. COH Sports Bidco took control aiming to stabilise the club after years of financial turbulence, yet now faces a courtroom showdown before the transfer window closes and the Premier League season restarts. Sources close to the current regime insist their focus remains on the new campaign, but the legal cloud risks derailing squad planning, sponsorship talks, and even player registrations. United World’s intervention underscores how quickly a takeover dispute can metastasise from balance-sheet footnote to existential threat.
United World’s public statement also names Helmy Eltoukhy, COH’s other billionaire co-owner, as someone whose refusal to pay the balance has forced legal action. The wording suggests the former owners see no remaining scope for negotiation short of full settlement, raising the prospect that Wednesday’s hearing will proceed regardless of any last-minute settlement talks.
Regulator in the wings, but intervention unclear
United World’s statement noted it understood the EFL and the Independent Football Regulator were aware of the situation, yet it had seen no sign of intervention. The absence of a visible safety net leaves Sheffield United exposed. While the club’s financial health is defended by insiders, the legal machinery set in motion by United World does not distinguish between the holding company and the football club; it simply demands payment or faces insolvency proceedings. The EFL’s 12-point penalty is automatic once insolvency is declared, making Wednesday’s outcome a binary cliff-edge for Bramall Lane.
For supporters already scarred by years of administration scares, the latest twist feels like déjà vu. United World’s warning that “we shall have no…” in its statement trails off, but the implication is unambiguous: after Wednesday, the club’s future could be decided in a courtroom rather than on the pitch.
With the Premier League season less than two weeks away, Sheffield United’s new owners face a choice: settle the £35m claim and lift the sword of Damocles, or roll the dice in court and risk a punishment that could erase months of rebuilding work. Either way, the next 48 hours will shape whether Bramall Lane hosts another top-flight campaign—or whether United’s stay in the Premier League is decided by a judge, not a points deduction.
Related coverage
Kevin heads to Tannadice – Dundee United Football Club · Declan Donnelly in tears as he pays emotional tribute to ‘childhood hero’ Kevin Keegan
Leave a Reply