FIFA crisis deepens: Lamour exits after Infantino clash

FIFA’s internal fractures widened on Monday after chief operating officer Kevin Lamour left the organisation, less than three weeks after he accused president Gianni Infantino of deceiving staff over the abandoned World Cup expansion plan. The departure marks the highest-profile exit yet in a growing rebellion that has seen 21 national associations withdraw support for Infantino’s re-election bid, including Scotland, who became the latest to align with UEFA’s no-confidence stance.

Lamour’s exit follows public clash over World Cup plans

Lamour, who joined FIFA in November 2024 after serving as UEFA’s deputy general secretary, confirmed his departure in a statement to the Associated Press on 31 July, calling FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) “the project of one person” and alleging staff had been “deceived” about its scope. In remarks reported by the New York Times, he voted against the plan during a council meeting on 18 July, the day before the World Cup final. His public criticism—delivered despite acknowledging the risk to his position—set the stage for his eventual exit.

FIFA’s statement confirmed the working relationship had ended on 17 August 2026, thanking Lamour for his two years of service without addressing reports of dismissal. The announcement came via an email from secretary general Mattias Grafström to staff, a detail that drew attention given Lamour’s focus on Infantino’s leadership. Sources told the Independent that Grafström, rather than Infantino, conducted the final discussions with Lamour, a procedural nuance that underscored the isolation of the COO’s dissent.

National associations abandon Infantino in growing numbers

The Scottish Football Association became the 21st governing body to publicly withdraw support for Infantino, aligning with UEFA’s position that the FIFA president has lost their confidence. SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell told BBC Sport that 55 UEFA members had already taken this step, adding: “Their statement since then has talked about a lack of confidence in the FIFA leadership, and the Scottish FA agree completely with that decision.” The move follows similar stances from CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation, while a non-profit group, FairSquare, has urged FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee (GACC) to rule Infantino ineligible for a fourth term.

FairSquare’s argument hinges on FIFA’s 2022 press release, which discounted Infantino’s first term—shortened after Sepp Blatter’s suspension—as not counting toward the two-term limit. The group contends this interpretation violates FIFA’s statutes, warning that without intervention, Infantino could exploit early elections to remain in power indefinitely. Their letter to the GACC frames the scenario as plausible given “various abuses of power and the failure of the FIFA Council to hold him to account.”

Infantino retains backing from senior executives

Despite the mounting opposition, Infantino secured the endorsement of FIFA’s senior executives during a meeting in Morocco earlier this month. The backing, however, excluded Lamour, who was notably absent from the gathering—a detail that underscored his marginalisation within the administration. The contrast between executive loyalty and widespread discontent among member associations highlights the depth of FIFA’s governance crisis, where internal dissent and external pressure are pulling in opposite directions.

Public statements from FIFA have framed Lamour’s departure as a mutual agreement, yet the timing and circumstances suggest a forced exit. His willingness to risk his position over what he described as a failure to “bring people together” reflects broader concerns about Infantino’s leadership style, which has drawn criticism for centralising decision-making and sidelining dissenting voices.

With 21 associations now opposing Infantino’s re-election, the pressure on FIFA’s governance structures is intensifying. The organisation’s response to FairSquare’s challenge and the fallout from Lamour’s departure will determine whether the crisis escalates or if Infantino can weather the storm. One thing is clear: the fractures within FIFA are no longer confined to private meetings. They are now a matter of public record, and the clock is ticking on Infantino’s ability to unite a divided house.

Related coverage

FIFA issues furious response on bid to ‘undermine’ Gianni Infantino after UEFA admission · UEFA have one problem in toppling Gianni Infantino from power at FIFA over World Cup plan

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *